Sunday, August 23

Second Use...A Salvage Yard....


One of our favorite places to visit when we get time away from the kids for a date is

Second Use Building Materials

in Seattle.

I know what you're thinking:

"ooh - sounds romantic"

Ok, maybe not.

But for us, it is!


Second Use is filled to the brim with some of the coolest stuff that you can't find anywhere else! And we love to browse and dream of what is possible with all of their vintage inventory.

Case in point:

Remember this post from a while back?

The perfect vintage-industrial kitchen found on CountryLiving.com,
in the perfect color?



Well, guess what Second Use has in stock right now....


Can you believe it?

I'll admit - my jaw hit the desk when I saw it!


They have multiple lockers in smaller widths too - perfect for placing side-by-side, just like the inspiration photo...


And as if the basket lockers weren't enough...

see the tall, blue locker on the right hand side of this photo?


Look what Second Use has...

it's not a perfect match, but it's pretty darn close and would certainly do!

.................................................

So here is my request - if any of you locals find your way to Second Use, and any of these pieces find their way back to your home, I would love to see photos of what you end up doing with them. I am not too proud to live vicariously through you!

Thanks in advance! :)


..................................................


Back to why we love our salvage yard...

I signed up to get their weekly emails last year and I am so glad that I did. It was in an email that I saw the blue, metal basket lockers. When I clicked the link in the email, it took me to all of the items that they have reclaimed from old, local schools.

I tried not to drool. But they have some pretty cool stuff...


Pull down classroom maps from the 1940's


Double-sided lockers...


An old locker room bench...


This cabinet...

is awesome!

Don't you think?


Love this one as well...


An old single-pane door with transom...


...and much, much more.

This is only a small taste of what they have to offer.

And I'm telling you, it's all good!


They're good people too.

Read about how they began and what they've accomplished since opening their doors in 1994.

And take a look at their Customer Project Gallery to see how people put their salvaged items to use. You know you love looking inside people's homes...it's worth taking a look!

I urge all of you that are local to go and visit - you know it's got to be good if Will and I are willing to spend our rare alone time there...

You won't be disappointed!





P.S. I am in no way affiliated with Second Use. Well...except that, I love them, so I guess my heart kind of belongs to them. However, I have not been contacted by them, nor am I being paid or compensated for this post in any way. I am simply passing on information about one of the coolest places for salvaged items around.
Happy hunting!


all photos courtesy of SecondUse.com