Monday, October 12

Candy Corn Makes It Too Easy...


Before I get started on how ridiculously easy candy corn makes it to decorate for Halloween, I want to be sure to let you know that I have a question for you at the end of this post. I need help finding a recipe and I figured, who better to ask then all of you? But I'll get back to that...


Halloween is the first holiday that I get to decorate for in our new entry lockers and cubbies! When we renovated the dining room, turned it into a playroom, and built ourselves a new organized entryway on the opposite side of the newly built wall, I made sure to design a system that would not only accommodate all of the kids' needs, but my need for pretty as well!

So at the top of the coat lockers, sit three square cubes that I can decorate and change with each season and holiday.

When it came time to decorate for Halloween, I had to consider exactly how I wanted this new space to look and what I wanted it to convey.

It's a kids space, really. So fancying it up with heavy garlands, berries, gourds, candles, urns...you know, all the traditional fall stuff, just didn't feel like it was a good fit for the space.

I wanted to keep the look simple, but fun and most importantly cost effective (translation: as close to FREE as possible!)

And this is what I came up with:




All it took was a big bag of candy corn, some gathering of twigs in the back yard and a little spray paint.

Too easy, I tell you!



I had Ellison help me find as many twigs as we could...


Then I simply spread them out on cardboard...


and sprayed it all with a good coat of black...

I didn't even bother flipping them over and spraying the back side. No need for it since their backs would all be facing the wall.

I filled the glass vases with candy corn and stuck the twigs in...


I wish I could have found twigs that were a little more gnarly, but this was a "use what you've got" project, so the twigs I found in our own backyard worked great!


The kids love it that there is candy corn on the shelves!

And I think the overall look is a good mix of them and me...


It was an easy way to bring orange and black into the entryway!

THE only colors needed for Halloween, as far as the kids are concerned!

And if you're looking for a project you can do in a flash, this is one of them. Waiting for the paint to dry is the only time factor to consider.

The candy corn made it's mark as decor in a few more spots of our home as well.

I gotta' say...I like how it looks!

..................................................................


Now...onto the recipe question!



We're hosting our 3rd Annual Chowder Cook-Off soon and I need to find a recipe.

I've been making the same Chicken and Corn Chowder for our family for the past ten years and last year, it won the Cook-Off!

So this year, I'm ready to try something new...

that's where you come in!

I have to say, I'm not a fan of clam chowder, but I do love a good corn chowder and, if you've got one, I'm totally up for a new take on chowder all together.

So if you have any good recipes, I would love to hear them!

Here's the catch...my competition (yes, they're my friends and family, but in this case - they're the competition!) reads my blog, so if you don't mind, I would prefer it if you didn't post the recipe in the form of a comment. Please email me your recipe at:

ItsTheLittleThings(at)HomeRestyle(dot)net

Thanks a million!

I can't wait to see what great chowder recipes you send my way!

And if I use yours, I will certainly give credit where credit is due!





P.S I am linking this post over on DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land
and Today's Creative Blog for Get Your Craft On Tuesday
and Works For Me Wednesday at We Are That Family
and Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
and The Fall Festival at The DIY Show Off

Loads of inspiration to be found!

Be sure to check them out!