Monday, October 5

Nine. Eighteen...


That's our number.

918

It represents September 18th, which is the day, waaay back in 1993, that we started dating.


So when I was looking for a way to add a little visual interest to one of the oars I got while thrifting this summer, it hit me...

918

perfect!


Remember the oars?

They were just meant to be in my house. It was pure luck that no one had swiped them before I got to the Garage Sale...


One of the oars found a home in our entryway from the garage, but the other has been leaning in a corner of our living room, waiting to be put in just the right spot.

As I said a few days ago, final details are being worked out in our Master Bedroom...

this oar was one of them.

It just needed a little extra something to make it special.

That's where 918 comes in.



Since many of you have asked in the past just how I get my letters and numbers on signs and furniture, I thought I would take this opportunity to show you.

First, I find my font on the computer and then size it to fit my project...

(make sure you change the character setting to "outline" - no need to waste black ink printing out solid numbers)



After I print them out, I cut it down to size so that it will fit on the area to be painted. This will be my tracing paper...

(the G.I. Joe figures were left out from Owen's birthday party the night before...a common accessory found on our counters, tables, floors...)



Once I have my tracing paper spaced just right, I tape it down only on the top side...


For your project you will need white or black transfer paper depending on the base color of your project and the color of paint for your lettering. In this case, I was going for white letters and my project surface was fairly dark, so I went with white transfer paper...


I slide my transfer paper under my taped down tracing paper...


and start tracing...


It is worth it to stop and check that your numbers are transferring onto your project surface. I learned this the hard way, on a sign that had a whole lot of letters! It only took once to learn that lesson!



After my tracing is done and I am sure that my lines are clearly visible, I remove the transfer paper and take off my tracing paper...


Now it will be a cinch to fill in the numbers...


I use a paint pen for all of my lettering. You can find them at Michael's, JoAnne Etc, even most of the one-stop shopping grocery stores. To see an example, click here.


The paint pen that I used for this was on it's last leg. Not much ink left in it at all...but, it ended up working to my advantage! It just meant that I wouldn't have to do any sanding to remove some of the paint. I was going for old and aged, and that's what my nearly empty paint pen gave me...



Now...to hang the 7 foot tall oar vertically on the wall...



I had Will drill a hole through the handle and then I strung thick rope through it. I wrapped the handle in a haphazard way (I liked the look!) and then just hung it on a nail.


And there 918 hangs...



Just a number on an oar.

A random number to those who see it,

but a visual reminder of our beginning, for us.




Before and After pictures of our Master Bedroom are coming soon.

I promise!





P.S. I will posting this for DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land
and Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch