Friday, December 17

The Gift Of Peppermint Hot Chocolate...


Every October when it starts to get cold outside, I make our family a big batch of "homemade" Peppermint Hot Chocolate. Or maybe I should call it, semi-homemade, because all of the ingredients are readily available and take minimal effort to put together. But combined, they create a cup of yummy, warm, chocolatey deliciousness!


I simply combine regular and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, and peppermints (or candy canes) that I unwrap, put into a big zip-lock bag and crush with the flat side of our metal meat tenderizer. Unwrapping all of the peppermints is the most time consuming step of this whole process, so if you have time for that, then you're good to go!

There isn't much of a recipe to follow here. You just want to make sure that you have enough peppermint and chocolate chips in there that you get a good amount in every scoop...

I put it all in the jar and then add powdered hot chocolate mix. Nothing fancy or gourmet necessary. When you mix it all with hot water or warm milk, the chocolate chips and marshmallows melt to make a rich taste, and the peppermint adds the perfect hit of flavor...

When it's all mixed and ready to enjoy, just make it the same way that you make instant hot cocoa. Fill the mug up 1/4 to 1/2 way with the mix (depending on what your sweet tooth prefers) and then fill the mug with boiling water or warm milk. Stir until all of the marshmallows and chocolate chips are melted. When you get to the bottom of the mug, you'll be left with some chunks of melting peppermint - my kids' favorite part!



I made a big jar for my best friend and her family this year, tied it with a bright red ribbon and hung a few jingle bells on it...



And this year, the kids and I decided that this would make the perfect gift for our teacher's and their families over Winter Break and all season long...


For a prettier presentation, I added more crushed peppermint and chocolate chips on top...


I love how it looks when you open the jar!


My kids are obsessed with this hot chocolate, and if I am being totally honest,
so am I!


*For the adults, a dash of Amaretto is really yummy, and Peppermint Schnapps does the trick as well!*


The kids delivered the gifts to their teacher's yesterday and I am told that they received rave reviews. Hopefully, along with their families, they enjoyed a cup last night!


This also makes a wonderful gift for friends and neighbors, as a hostess gift, and even as a gift from your child to their friends.

Easy, inexpensive, and so, so yummy!


~ Enjoy ~




P.S. I bought the jars at Fred Meyer, but I know that Target sells them as well. I was able to buy them for $5 a piece, on sale. Not bad, if you ask me!

:)

P.S.S. I am posting this at:
Tatertots and Jello, Remodelaholic, Finding Fabulous, The Shabby Nest, Beyond The Picket Fence, Funky Junk Interiors, Be Different...Act Normal, The Girl Creative, Blue Cricket Design, The Thrifty Home,