Thursday, January 6

What We're Up To...


I woke up this morning thinking that it was going to be a normal, routine day.

But lucky for me, it turned out to be the day that this...

would become this...

Isn't she a beauty?

Way back in March of last year, Ali from Little Bits Of Bliss posted pictures from her ugly-table-turned-farmhouse-table project, and for me...

it was love at first sight!


I immediately posted it to my Tumblr and kept it in the back of my mind waiting for the perfect moment to propose the table makeover to Will.

Luckily, he was totally game and on board with the idea!
(I needed him to build the top for me.)

We bought our kitchen table back in March of 1999, the same year that we got married. It has stood up to 5 moves and 3 kids (and all that they can dish out) over the past 12 years, so it only seems right that she gets a makeover.

She's definitely earned it!



Off came the top...

Then a quick sponge bath with TSP to remove all of the grease and grime
(thank you, children)...


Then bye-bye blue, hello crisp, clean white.

I used the same paint that the Board and Batten is painted in, which is the same as all of the trim throughout our house. I wanted the legs to be white anyway, but most of all, I wanted to use what I already had and I have plenty of this sitting around...

I still need to put on a second (maybe even a third) coat of paint, but with the top off, it's such an easy job...

The new farmhouse table top is currently out in the garage where it's all clamped up and the glue is drying...

Tomorrow we will put on a coat or two of stain, some poly to seal it up, and then once that is dry we can bring it in the house.

I cannot wait to see our "new" table!


So that's project #1 for 2011.

So far, so good!